Saint Louis College of music presents the VIII edition of the European Jazz Contest, for jazz bands. Among the partners – the prestigious Conservatorium Maastricht, Hogeschool Gent, Civici Corsi di Jazz of Milan, Hochschule für Musik und Theater “Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy” Leipzig and Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp.
GENERAL Participation is open to all residing in Europe. Applications from non-European countries will be individually examined from the Selection Board. The average age of the band members must not exceed 35. Bands with underage members won’t be considered. The 2017 edition of the EJC is dedicated to GROUPS (instrumental only or with vocalists).
PRIZES The Jury reserves the right to decide not award a prize if they feel that no band is deserving. They also reserve the right to assign to two bands an equally deserved first or second prize.
- An EP recorded live during the final concert. Edition and publication will be done though the Saint Louis Jazz Collection label. The EP will be distributed over the world’s most popular digital streaming platforms. The publication rights will be treated as indicated in the private contract that will be signed by Saint Louis and the winner (without transferring the publication rights to the Publisher the album will not be recorded or released). The Artistic Director reserves the right to decide about publishing the whole live recording of the final exhibition, or a part of it.
- 6 concerts between Italy and other European countries (Rome, Milan, Gent, Maastricht, Leipzig and Antwerp)
- Printing of 500 copies of the EP, of which 30 copies will be given to the band for free
- BEST BASS PLAYER: Hartke HD75 speaker
- BEST GUITARRIST: Ibanez Artcore AS53-TF guitar
- BEST DRUMMER: Zildjian 16″K Custom Special Dry Crash
IMPLEMENTATION AND PARTICIPATION FORMATS: the EJC will be structured in 2 stages
Pre-selection: The bands will be selected based on an audio-video demo. The selection will be handled, at indisputable discretion, by the Saint Louis staff which will be chaired by Director Stefano Mastruzzi. The deadline for enrolling and sending the application is the 8th of September 2017.
Live concert: the finalists (4 bands) will perform in Rome in November 2017. The exact day will be communicated to all the selected bands through e-mail and through the official contest website.
The contest organization will contribute to the travel expenses of the finalists, for a maximum of 100€ per competitor, to a maximum of 300€ per band. The reimbursement will be refunded to the bands after receiving the receipts/travel tickets. Food and accommodation, for those who don’t reside in the Lazio area will be covered by Saint Louis. At the end of the final evening, the winner of the 1st prize, and the possible best soloists will be announced.
The above-mentioned dates may be subject to changes due to organization reasons; possible changes will be communicated to all the competitors in advance.
To participate It is necessary to have a live repertoire no shorter than 30 minutes, and a demo containing at least 4 original tunes and 2 standards chosen by the contestants. Failure to comply will result in being excluded from the competition.
Participation is open to all kinds of jazz-style projects, without limits: from traditional to avant-garde and experimental, in any language or dialect, which correspond to one or more of the following features:
1) Original compositions
2) Original re-elaborated versions of traditional music belonging to the band’s country of origin
By enrolling, every artist declares the originality of his/her tunes or their origin from the “public domain tradition”. The artists also affirm that the organization will not be responsible of any dispute regarding the songs or their performance or any possible property rights issue.
- Fill in the specific enrollment form available the website jazzcontest.it by the 8th of September 2017